6.10.2010

Surrogacy Information

So somebody was asking me questions about surrogacy and it struck me, that not everyone has done the research I've done (not that I know that much about it!) but I'll take the time to clue you all into a few things I do know.  First off, the abbreviations:

IPs- Intended parents: the mommy and daddy of the little one
LO-little one: the baby
IM-intended mother
IF-intended father
2ww-2 week wait: the 2 weeks after insemination or implantation where you WAIT WAIT WAIT to see if it took and you're preggers
?dp 2ww- replace the ? with a number and it's # of days past the 2ww.  This has something to do with whether or not you're pregnant, but I'm still slightly confused about this.  Anybody has any info, feel free to contribute!!
insems-inseminations: when the sperm is put into the surrogate's uterus
transfer: transfer of pre-fertilized egg (or embryo)
TS: traditional surrogate/surrogacy: when the surrogate's egg is used, she would be inseminated with the IF's sperm, either in her home or at a clinic via IUI
IUI-intrauterine insemination: a dr puts the sperm in the traditional surrogate's uterus to fertilize one or more of her eggs
GS-gestational surrogate: fertilized eggs/embryos is implanted in the surrogate's uterus where hopefully at least 1 attaches and becomes the baby

I think that pretty much covers the abbreviations.  If you don't understand anything I post, please don't hesitate to ask.  Sometimes I use abbreviations thinking "well, I know what it means, why doesn't everyone else?" lol I'm not the brightest at times! 

And for those of you wondering, I went into this thinking I was only open to GS.  The further I get into it, I'm also open to TS.  Yes, it's my egg, but to be honest, why wouldn't I want to share it with someone else who can't produce them?  I recently had a friend who had a "garage give-away" instead of a garage sale.  She gave away (as did her friends who were also inclined) things she no longer needed or wanted and thought someone else could use.  It's the same with my eggs.  I'm not planning to use them.  Should I just throw them away when there's women out there who are unable to produce their own?  God gave me the eggs, I need to share them.  And you may say "But, Abbe, won't you feel a connection to that baby, with it being your egg and all?"  Yes, I may feel a connection, but to be honest, I simply couldn't claim the baby as my own, for 2 reasons: Bubba isn't the father, and I truly do feel like my little family is complete.  We've practically grown out of our house, (speaking of which, if anybody has a nice 3-4 bedroom house they want to give me, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands!) and I just have this feeling of completeness.  I also plan to maintain a relationship after the birth.  I would prefer a fairly open relationship, where I can send cards and gifts at birthdays and such, sort of like a distant aunt or something, but if the IPs are only comfortable with them emailing me photos and updates, I'm OK with that as well.  Those of you who know me, know that I like to give, so of course I want to be able to give gifts!! 

Alrighty, I hope that explained a few things for you all, like I said ask any questions you want.  If I don't know the answer, I'll do my best to figure it out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment